Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Getting Started...

We finally took the leap and decided to sign a sales agreement with Ryan homes to build us a dream home.  I had been researching for about a year, life happened and there were many things obstacles that fell into our laps, literally days after I found the area I was considering for our new home.  Turns out those obstacles created a great distraction while we needed to wait patiently anyway for our current lease to be up anyway.  Finally we sold our current house down south and we got into the time frame were we could start getting more serious.
At the end of October we drove an hour north to the community we were considering and had an appointment with the SR.  We really weren't ready to do anything yet but we had taken our checkbook with us.  We put a hold on a lot and waited the four days--it didn't feel right yet so we had to remove our hold on a lot.  The SR called back a few days later and had gotten a pretty great deal for us, we seriously considered it, and prayed (and fasted) but in the end it still just wasn't feeling like the right time.  I hate feeling pushed into something I'm not ready for so we walked away.  Thinking of course we wouldn't sign for anything less than that sweet deal.
Another month passed and we were feeling more ready.  We drove back up and met with the SR again, walked through a home in the neighborhood with the same floor plan we were considering, that was about to close and we did still love it.
Now, we were considering a different home site.  One with a lot premium, but one that also wasn't available the month prior.  It goes against everything I ever thought I'd do to pay a lot premium, they are quite ridiculous somethings, I really didn't want to pay more than $3500 for the lot premium, but the truth is during that visit we fell in love with the lot.  Also, it was the largest lot on the street, and had no neighbors in the back.  How much better could we get? The view currently looks a little dreary with it being winter, but we had seen in in October with the beautiful fall leaves changing colors and we know it'll be a beautiful view.
Anyway, after some back and forth with the SR and his boss, and more praying on our parts we knew we would be sad to walk away from this home on this home site, so we agreed to sign the agreement.  The next day our SR came to our rental home and sat down with us and we signed the contract.  Four days later we went and met with the NVR mortgage LO and got that application process started.  Now we must wait to hear if we get loan approval.  Not expecting to hear anything about that until the middle to end of January maybe.  So we wait.  In the meantime we have told family of our decision but have only told friends and acquaintances that we "might" move up north a little, or we are "considering" it.  Really don't want to count all our eggs before they hatch.
We are excited though.  Really wish this week would go fast so we can get to our appointment with HD Supply Interior Solutions (formerly known as CTI).  I want to pick stuff for the house, and I also want to be sure we are getting what we thought we were getting when we signed the contract.  I feel like they never tell you exactly what is included standard and what is included in the upgrades.... and if you got the fancy upgrades can you get the best they offer, or is there going to be another upgrade charge at this next appointment.  It makes me so nervous that we are spending all this money on "our dream" home and we aren't even going to be able to get it because they overcharge for everything!
Anyway, I will let you know how that appointment goes and if I am just worrying for nothing.
Also our SR is mailing us a selection sheet with the siding and exterior samples.  We are over an hour south of the neighborhood currently, and so anytime we can avoid making the drive for little things then thats great, so we are going to see if we can make confident decisions on the exterior colors without having to come up there... if we can't then we will just make the drive up and decide.  I am hoping that we will be able to get a red door and that our neighbors on either side don't already have that... if that is a rule in this neighborhood... I'm not even sure BUT I have read similar things on other Ryan Homes blogs.
Also, I am a worrier.  Its just my nature.  I also suffer from anxiety, so getting through this long process is going to be a miracle and will require a lot of prayer.
Anyway... we decided on the Milan floor plan with the 4th bedroom in place of the loft, and the study in place of the living room.  We also added the morning room.  We got the "incentive" of the Luxury Kitchen package... (which better include ANY cabinets, granite, appliances and hardwood floors I may want!  I mean seriously!!)  We added a double sink in the kids bathroom, and upgraded the master bathroom (these too better also include granite counter tops!).  My husband loves that there
are two walk in closets and that he will get his own.  haha.  I love the laundry room on the 2nd floor.  And we all love the big basement (though it'll be years probably before we can finish it, it'll still be a good place for the kids to roller blade and play down there-- I remember doing that as a child in my parents basement when they built their home over 23 years ago).
We are really at our max budget already, and so we have no plans to upgrade flooring or electrical.  I'm a little nervous because my husband is excited for the appointment with guardian and I know we don't have the money to add anything on so...  yeah.  We shall see how that goes!!


Milan Elevation B







No comments:

Post a Comment