Monday, February 22, 2016

Day 6: Footers and Foundation Walls

This morning my husband received a text from our PM saying that they are forming and pouring our foundation this week.  This afternoon I received a text from our SR w/ the following photo and an update that the footers were in and they are working on forming the foundation walls.

Woo Hoo!!



That was my first reaction... upon further staring at the photo I noticed it looks like the house is pushed back further on our lot that I thought and like we seriously have ZERO backyard space.  Ugh.  My husband thinks the photo is probably just misleading and told me to "relax paranoid lady".  haha.  we shall see.  I hope he's right and I'm just paranoid.  I know we have a great deal of side yard space on both sides, so worst case scenario that's where the children will play, but I was really hoping to have much more of a yard in the back than the photo shows there to be.  I know we have some yard on the downside of the hill, but really didn't think the house was that close to the edge.  I don't know, what do you think?  Can the photo just be misleading?

Here is the amended soils plan they sent us a month or so ago.  I never really understood it, and maybe I should have had our PM explain it to us during our Pre-Construction meeting because then I would know exactly where the hill/slope/drop off is in approximation to our house.  I really was thinking we have a mostly flat backyard and then like 4 feet of space would be on the downside of the hill.  The photo above makes it seem like our entire backyard is down the drop off.


Anyway, so happy for an update today!  Its suppose to rain all week long so I'm not sure what that means for the foundation being poured but I will be happy for another update when they send one.  :)

5 comments:

  1. I know it's crazy but the photo can be misleading as well as standing there looking at it. It's hard to get a good idea of how much space will be left until you see the house standing, they remove some of the dirt and grade the yard. I can see it better now that the dirt is gone but I still look at my house trying to figure out what the final back yard will actually be like once it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks that gives me some hope. I was just staring at the photo again... mini obsessing over it. I am getting very close to committing myself to driving up there w/ the children this weekend just to see it for myself. The closeness to that edge/cliff is seriously freaking me out. We did not sign up (or pay a big lot premium) to be situated on the edge of a cliff! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog and love following your process so far. We just signed our contract for a Milan a couple of weeks ago. You can follow us at ourmilanindc.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! Congrats Kristie! Can't wait to follow along with you guys!

      Delete
  4. My PM told us to ask our burning questions early rather than let them fester. You should ask yours the question about the backyard (maybe phrase it like the picture looks misleading so can you help me understand how the back yard will look - or something like that.)

    ReplyDelete