Thursday, September 22, 2016

4 months in... {almost}

Well its almost been 4 months in our home and its beginning to look and feel more like home everyday.   We have done a couple little things around the house these last few weeks and we've been excited about them so I wanted to share them the only place I could.  Lol. 

Okay these photos are so random because I am blogging on my phone and its being crazy and won't let me re order them... anyway, first up is the trash and recycling system my husband added to one of our cabinets (to the left of the stove in our Milan).  We really love it,  its so nice to have our old plastic trash can out of the mudroom.  The mudroom is our first big project, that we are hoping to tackle this weekend actually.  We don't have a clue what we are doing but when the kids started school it became very obvious that we needed that room to "function" and its just not working for us right now.  
 The trash can was our first step to getting the mudroom project going.

This is a terrible photo but the only one I have, we finally got a light/ceiling fan added to the morning room.  It is getting darker earlier now so this was a necessity.  Its kind of a boring light for the morning room, I've seen the trend in fancy light fixtures with Ryan homes owners but my husband for sure wanted a fan in this room to help with the air circulation and the plain white is something my mom always recommended just so it would blend in with the ceiling. We like it, it really brightens up the room and the kitchen and the fan is great when its feeling especially warm in that room.
 I started decorating for fall.
 I just love the openness of this floor plan and layout.
 Found a cute white pillowcover at IKEA last month and it fit the long skinny pillow that came with our couch perfectly. (The pillow cover the couch came with was orange and red, not my favorite).

I found fabric I liked and sewed this pillow cover and another identical one.  It was frustrating trying to figure out how to sew a zipper but after a few hours I managed to "make it work".  




 This room isn't on our priority list BUT I am a sucker for deals and I found this curtain rod for $11.99 at kohls and I think I had a 25% off coupon.  A couple days before that I was checking out a store I'd never been to before called Tuesday Morning, I was about to leave empty handed when I happened upon this set of two curtain panels for $11.99, two panels together for that price is unheard of... and navy blue, I had to grab them!  Eventually we will tackle this room, in the meantime though, its nice to have curtains there for when we want to close them, or just to have something decorative in that room since the rest of the house is open to it.
 Love my family room so much, especially when its picked up and there are no kids toys or blankets or dirty socks left laying around.

The best thing will be when we paint, which I was going to wait to do until after the 1 year drywall BUT i am seriously itching to do it now.  And once I do I will feel like I can hang stuff on the walls! 

Another bargain I couldn't pass up on...

My 4 year old has a birthday coming up right before Christmas and she has said she wants her room decorated as her present.  She says she wants "all the things" (curtains, bedside table, lamp, clock, rug, gold polka dots on wall, bean bag chair, pictures on the wall, etc.) Anyway that made me remember the good deal on the curtain rod I got at kohls a couple weeks ago, tried one kohls, only one curtain rod but she has two windows so I checked another kohls today and found a bunch of curtain rods for $11.99. Yay! 

I was hopeful that maybe the clearance tags weren't correct, maybe they'd be on more of a sale so I checked with their price checker and all these curtain rods rang up for $7.99 (down from $39.99... which kohls super marks up their stuff so they can put it "on sale", so if these were on the current sale the other curtain rods were on they would have been $20... ) I also had a 30% coupon so I paid $5.59 each and earned myself $10 kohls cash to use next week!  


My husband thought I  was crazy when I came home with all of these... and I know I looked crazy walking out of kohls with all 8 in my arms.  Three will go in our bedroom, four in the kids bedrooms and then one for my husband's office.

Last thing... Monday I heard SW was having one of their 40% off paint sales but it was ending that day so I wanted to hurry and paint this half wall in the morning room with my leftover sample paint, that I had painted one spot on to test the color about 2 months ago.  I wanted to see if I liked the color on a whole wall and I wanted to convince my husband to let me buy like 5 gallons and let me paint at least the family room, morning room and kitchen... unfortunately I didn't get around to buying the paint during that last day of the sale... however I do LOVE the color on the wall and in my house and can't wait to get all the walls painted. (I will be waiting for a paint sale though.)


The color is agreeable gray and I wa sreally nervous looking at the paint itself and on the lid bcuz it seemed tanner more than gray, but it is definitely a gray and I love it. It really looks good with the wood floor color and adds a richness to the space that is seriously lacking with these construction white/yellow walls.

Well thats my update for now, sorry its all over the place and super long.


2 comments:

  1. Love all the house photos! It's so much fun!

    Do you have the "Yes 2 You" Rewards at Kohls?? I have them and get free cash after spending certain amounts of money, haha! You've made me want to go check out curtain rods now though! That's a great deal!

    I hear you about the itching to paint! Luckily I have all of our interior doors upstairs to paint still, so that'll take a bit and put a pop of color in the house. We finished the ones downstairs last night and they look so awesome!

    We hit up the Sherwin Williams sale, but only when it was 35% off a few weeks back! We got our stain and such for our deck! Check wayfair for coupons from them!! I scored some off of an advertisement that gave me like $10 off of a $50 or $60 purchase!! Love me some deals!!

    I have plans to do our trash cans like you have yours in your cabinets... I just hate that I lose a cabinet doing it... we really don't have THAT many since we don't have the gourmet island :-(

    The mudroom is on our "list" too... but a bit further down. I have a super cute wall tree picked out that I wanna get.. and if not that, I've pinned a TON on Pinterest to try and make one myself!!

    Things look great for you guys though! I hope you're still LOVING your home!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! It can be a bit overwhelming thinking of all the projects that we'd like to do without a plan. We're just starting to talk about our list of priorities for when we move.

    Love your home! Thanks for sharing all the photos!

    ReplyDelete