Wednesday, May 11, 2016

9 days til...

...our pre-settlement walk through!!

We are getting excited but both of us don't feel like its real.  In the meantime we've reserved our moving truck, and been busy fixing things up around our rental.  We put in our notice at the end of April (a little earlier than required) and our landlord has listed this place for rent and we have our first showing tonight.  This was easily the most stressful part when we were trying to sell our house (two years ago), of course this won't be as bad because we aren't the ones trying to "sell" the property to a new tenant but I will still want to have it as clean as possible when someone comes through--which isn't so easy in the midst of packing, selling furniture off, four kids, three in school, science fair projects, pinewood derby cars, recitals, concerts, etc.  May is always our busiest, most stressful, event packed month and this year may just "take the cake".  I am ready for it to be June so I will have passed over all the unpleasant parts of packing and moving in the midst of our normal everyday chaos and finally be able to breathe and start to unpack and settle into our new home and town... (and state!)

I am getting nervous about utility bills, looking into how much the electric is and the water... I am reminded when I get to the sites and download the documents that I have done it all before... before we signed the contract.  So I really just need to not worry about it and figure it out as it comes... and pray that we will be able to afford this crazy idea we had to buy a house and move an hour north to where its supposedly more affordable... though the taxes have me feeling its actually more expensive.  I am second guessing everything.  Luckily for us we {think} we love the country feel of the area we are moving to (of course we've only been up for short visits)... so if all else fails and this was a stupid idea, hopefully we will at least love the area since we'll be stuck with it.

Speaking of taxes.. that was one thing I didn't update about... we decided to lock in our interest rate the day after we found out that we could.  It was the same as it had been the day before (and on all the loan estimate sheets they'd sent in 2016) but it came with a small lender credit.  So we decided to take it.  It was too stressful to think about for another day.  But when our LO sent us the lock agreement she also sent an updated loan estimate sheet and made note that our closing costs had gone up (significantly I might add!!!!!!) because of the due date on our school taxes.  Oh my goodness, it was shocking and disappointing to say the least.  I freaked out.  Our loan officer was very helpful and called me to discuss my questions and concerns and she explained it all... (and other concerns I had had and wrote about earlier with regards to transfer taxes... seriously, taxes are just my sore subject... why are there so many and why are they so high compared to other areas???  yikes!)
Anyway, the reason for the almost $3,000 jump in our closing cost estimate was that our original LO had the due date for the school property taxes as August 2017 but it should have been August 2016... HUGE difference... especially when it was in the area where the taxes are the highest (more than double the regular property taxes).   I really wish NVR would have offered some kind of credit for their mistake, and the misrepresentation of the taxes due with our closing costs.  It would have been a nice gesture.  Anyway, the LO was helpful as far as explaining the mistake and trying to help us figure out ways to have more cash for closing... her idea was bumping our interest rate up and giving us an extra $1100 credit.  We weren't interested in a higher interest rate so that didn't work for us.
Now money is extra tight and I am a little nervous about having the cash to close.  Remember when I was going to ask the LO about buying our washer and dryer.. yeah, not going to happen now until after closing... and maybe we'll be washing our clothes in the bathtub for a while.  lol. Its kind of frustrating to be at this place where our budget is so tight.  Buying a new house is fun, and it makes you excited to decorate and make it a "home" but with these extra last minute additions to our closing costs its impossible to allow ourselves to purchase one single thing for the house.

One last update... we did receive our appraisal report last week.  I printed and studied all 27 pages of it.  Lol.  Its kind of a mystery how they come up with the number they come up with.  Either way, it appraised for just over our loan amount so I suppose we're all set to go.  It was another worry I had running in the back of my head (I am a worrier... its what I do), with regards to it not appraising and having even more money to bring to closing... we would have had to walk away if that were the case.

Anyway... sorry for the long and boring post with too much information. We haven't been back up to the house and won't be back until our walk through on the 20th.  My Aunt and uncle did drive by on their way through town this past weekend and took a photo on the front porch.  The front door is definitely ajar in the photo but they did not go in because they were afraid to... also I'm sure they just wanted us to be able to show them around once its officially ours.  I did notice my house in the background of our future across the street neighbor's photo on the FB group and noticed that the yellow/brown patches of grass around the driveway have not bounced back yet and I was sure they would with all the rain we've been having... wonder if it'll come back or if its just dead?  :(

So 9 days til walk through and 15 days til closing!  I am ready to be on the other side of this!  My nerves can't take it!





No comments:

Post a Comment