Saturday, May 21, 2016

Pre Settlement Demonstration

Yesterday morning we had our pre settlement demonstration.  My dad drove up and met us at the house, it was his first time being to our new neighborhood and the house.  Upon arriving we learned that we had a new set of project managers who were the ones to finish our house.  I wonder how often they move them around.  I hope they don't change them again anytime soon.  Its hard to know who you'll be dealing with if an issue arises.  Anyway, the beginning was going over the warranties and signing some papers.  Then they took us through the house, starting in the kitchen.  They taught us about our appliances, our windows, the doors, the floor, lights,  tile, water heater, sump pump, garage door opener, etc. 

love our cute little house
 Our PM said that he didn't "blue tape" the house and wouldn't.  He kept stressing that the drywall issues could only be addressed one time and around 1 year after we move in would be the time to do it.  He did also say that if there was something that needed to be fixed before settlement he would take care of it.  As we walked the house there wasn't anything that was jumping out at us, not that we were really looking though either because he had already said we wouldn't be blue taping anything.  As we were leaving we noted the drywall tape spot on the wall in the family room (you can see it from across the room- that is how bad it is)- I asked if we needed to wait until the one year to fix that and he said he would take care of it before we close and took his pen and circled it on the wall.  I am kicking myself for not speaking up about a spot on the wall near the sink that was driving me crazy the whole time he was talking about warranties).  Super hoping he sees it himself and has them paint it.  Its just a spot that needs touch up paint.  Other than that we didn't see anything that jumped out to us.  He did say we will notice a lot more in the first 30 days that we're living there than we would walking the house that day and that they would fix it all at the 30 day mark.

view of the family room

view into the morning room

kitchen view
Other updates:

A couple days before our walk thru we received our closing disclosure to sign and send back.  It had our official amount to bring to closing.  The next day our loan processor emailed and asked for our latest paycheck stub and a signed letter from me about being "unemployed" (aka- stay at home mom).  It feels so good to be so close!!

Today we spent every minute from the time we woke up until the time we put the kids to bed packing and working on getting all of our items put into a central location in the living room to make it easier for our friends and family to help us load up the truck.  My back hurts so badly, I am laying flat on my back typing this blog post right now, trying to ease the pain.... Ouch! ouch! ouch!

We worked over 10  hours straight and got a bunch accomplished but the house is a wreck right now and there is still so much more to do.  Our plan is to close on Thursday at noon, which is kind of too late for us to be able to go see the house, since we will have to run back home to get the kids from school.  But the following day our plan is to load up the minivan (while the kiddos are at school) with all the kitchen items and the clothes from everyone's closets (I do not want to take clothes off hangers, so I am just going to move them from one house to another... hopefully it'll work as well in real life as it does in my head).   Friday night we will pick up the moving truck and Saturday morning we will be loading up, driving north and then unloading.  The next few days we will be bouncing back and forth between houses, cleaning the rental up and having the carpets cleaned.

With knowing our official closing amount we were able to go ahead and purchase (with cash) our washer and dryer and have it scheduled to be delivered.  We also signed up to have our internet hooked up and on Monday we will call to set up all our utilities in our name.  We are so excited to be checking these little things off our list and can't wait to be in our very own home again!!!

I will try to update again after closing and moving in.

5 MORE SLEEPS!!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It's beautiful. Moving is just an awful experience, but it will be so worth it once your settled in. I did the clothes on the hangers when we moved. I don't know how you plan to do it, but here's I did it. I used big black garbage bags, poked a hole at the bottom of the bag big enough for the hooks, then after I put the clothes on the hanger through the hole and tied the bag at the open end. Then once we got to the new house, I hung the clothes on the rod still in the bag and then tore the bag off. It works.

    Our project manager didn't do blue tape either and we also had a PM change at the end. You will see more things that need correcting over the next few weeks, but my experience so far is that they've been responsive in fixing it. Good luck at closing and moving! It will be here before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will do the same with the bags and the hangers. Hopefully I will have the same success you did. :)

      Delete
    2. I totally agree with the bag idea! Go buy the bags from the dollar store! I had originally seen the idea on Pinterest and we did it the last time we moved! And it was so much easier and I'm totally doing it again!

      The house looks great! I am so excited for you guys!

      Delete
  2. It's beautiful!! Love your hardwood floors!

    ReplyDelete