Sunday, May 1, 2016

More from our visit...

So there wasn't too much "new" to see on the bigger details of the house but there were a few little things we noticed, I just want to share a couple of them and also maybe get some opinions on.

First, the view out the back gets better every time we go with the grass and trees turning green, so much better than the winter. 





Here is our "red" door... its really more of an orange rust color, especially from this view.



It does seem to look better from a distance and with the other colors of the house it does appear to be a little more red.


This granite back splash behind the sink was new,  the last time we were there it had been just a few inches high, as you can see it continues that way off to the right and then throughout the rest of the kitchen.  That was the way we expected it to be, and looking back at photos of the model, that's how it is there too.  I am not sure why they pulled out the smaller granite border (what do they call it?) and added in its place this counter to ledge back splash version.  I have tried looking around online to see if anyone has had a similar thing in their kitchens.  So I guess my question is.. why?  and then also is there a benefit to having it like this?  My immediate response is to scrunch my nose at it every time I look at it or think about it.  Aesthetically it isn't my favorite, and I had planned on putting white subway tile all the way around in the future, this to me is too dark for my taste.  My husband doesn't care, he's kind of like "whatever" and says we can just rip it out later, but then if we do that we won't have the uniform smaller border piece of the granite to go at the bottom of the subway tile we will install, also pulling it out could damage the drywall behind it, so if we don't want it there I would lean towards asking them to put it back the way it was before. Or... is there some really good reason to keep it and leave it this way forever and just do the subway tile around the other parts of the kitchen?  Opinions please!!!

Update:  At family dinner tonight all the construction men in my family said this was a good thing and my sister pointed out its easier to clean.  They all seemed to vote to leave it like this...


Last thing... where is your towel rack installed in your bathroom?  Especially if you are a Milan owner?  Ours turns out to be in the little water closet area with the toilet... doesn't make much sense there, we thought it would be on the wall right behind the tub... are we crazy?  Is this the perfect place to put the towel rack? Behind a door, away from the shower and tub?  Opinions...




3 comments:

  1. 1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that dark rust red/orange door color (we chose it too; and I think it works really well with your grey and navy.
    2. I think I'm with you on that granite sink backsplash. Subway tile > granite.
    3. Fully agreed - absolutely stupid place for the towel bar.
    Everything is looking good, you must be so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The door is beautiful! Love that color contrast with the rest of the house. I get your issue with the backsplash. I could go either way, but agree that the cleaning would be easier. And I hate that towel rack location. I'm going to email my PM now and ask where he's installing ours and asking him to move it if he's putting it in the WC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI - after I read your post, I checked with my PM. He showed me the purchase order and has our towel rack being installed on the wall by the soaking tub and not in the WC.

    ReplyDelete